Nuclear Engineering Intern
Job Title: Nuclear Engineering Intern
Reports To: Nuclear Analysis Team Lead
Revision Date: 01/2/2017
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Phoenix, LLC is seeking several Nuclear Engineering interns to contribute to a variety of computational nuclear analysis tasks. These interns will join the nuclear analysis and design team which focuses on optimizing the design of the Phoenix neutron generators for maximum throughput and ensuring their radiological safety.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Computational design & analysis: perform parametric design calculations using radiation transport software such as MCNP to identify preferred design alternatives. Computational automation of this task may be necessary, including input file generation and output file processing.
- Algorithm improvement: Based on existing software methods, explore physics-based improvements to algorithms for signal processing and feedback of system performance.
- Software development: Programming in C#/C++/Python as part of a software development team to produce a robust software product. In addition to fundamental programming skills, experience with software engineering concepts will be valuable.
- Enrollment in a nuclear engineering discipline in at a US university is required
- Prior knowledge with nuclear analysis tools such as MCNP is preferred and ability to obtain MCNP license is required.
- Interest in science, physics, electronics, or mechanics is needed
- Willingness to contribute in a breadth of areas and jobs
- Ability to know when and where help is needed
"Eligibility for employment is conditioned on the applicant's ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, applicant's eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check."