NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Phoenix is looking for a full-time machinist/instrument maker to supervise and operate our machine shop and prototyping facilities. The candidate will be responsible for the set-up and operation various tools within our machine shop, including but not limited to a CNC mill, manual lathe, MIG welder, TIG welder, brake, and shear. The machinist will be responsible for scheduling, sourcing material, fabricating, modifying, and/or repairing mechanical parts for R&D and production applications. Additionally, this person may, depending upon skillset, be asked to design and fabricate components. This position will also be responsible for the management of part time machine operators and machinist interns. Finally, the machinist/instrument maker will be responsible for the development and execution of a preventive maintenance program for all of the machines within the shop as well as the general cleaning and upkeep of the shop. This position may also contribute to other fabrication projects within Phoenix.
Phoenix is an exciting, fast-paced, and challenging environment for the right machinist/instrument maker. Our shop is small, but well equipped. We design and fabricate highly specialized components for challenging environments. The machinist/instrument maker will often be responding to a part failure and will be asked to improve designs as well as repair.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with R&D and production, develop schedules for shop jobs
- Source materials and tools for machine shop jobs
- Design and fabricate appropriate fixtures and tooling jigs
- Safely set up, adjust, and operate machine tools, including mills and lathe
- Coordinate with design engineers to confirm requirements of machined part
- CAD/CAM experience required. Experience with SOLIDWORKS and CAMWorks preferred
- MIG, TIG welding and brazing
- Design of machining fixtures and programming of a CNC milling machine
- Source tooling and develop machining processes for complicated parts
- Develop training for new operators in proper shop operating procedures
- Perform preventative maintenance of machine tools
- General maintenance, upkeep, and cleaning of shop
Requirements and Qualifications:
- High school diploma is required
- Associate degree in machining, or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with SolidWorks and CAM software
- At least 5 years professional experience in a machine shop is required
- Ability to work autonomously to produce parts from prints and/or solid models as well as troubleshoot manufacturing issues
- Familiarity with tooling and vendors
- Willingness to contribute in a breadth of areas and jobs
- Welding experience desirable
Phoenix offers an exceptional benefit and compensation package in a transparent, collaborative team environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If this opportunity piques your interest and you feel Phoenix may be the organization for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
“Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check.”