Department: Sales and Marketing
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The position of Nuclear Applications Specialist (NAS) is responsible for identifying and leading technical pursuits of funded research, development, and technology commercialization opportunities in U.S. government and commercial markets with support from Phoenix’s sales and business development group. The NAS will use their expertise in and understanding of fields relevant to Phoenix core technologies, including nuclear and fusion engineering, plasma physics, and neutron imaging and irradiation, to pursue groundbreaking programs that advance the state-of-the-art, are aligned with Phoenix’s core competencies and business strategies, and that have a clear commercialization pathway. The NAS should be a known “Thought Leader” in his or her domain and will drive new business development and lead critical projects with Phoenix customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of all Phoenix technologies and market applications
- Contribute to the ongoing refinement and development of the company’s 10-year technology roadmap
- In concert with business development staff, identify, qualify, and pursue new funding or strategic partnership opportunities in various domains including fusion energy, radiation hardening, threat interrogation and detection, neutron-based nondestructive testing, other unique application areas of interest to the US government and large commercial entities
- Lead business development team interactions with the Phoenix R&D, modeling, and simulation groups to develop technical data in support of customer presentations, abstracts, white papers, proposals, and funded development efforts
- Gather, interpret, organize, and present market research data to Phoenix management to guide internal investment and prioritization across the broad application spaces to which Phoenix technology is applicable
- Design and perform experiments and/or modeling efforts to further understanding of essential technologies for Phoenix’s core products in support of customer business pursuits
- Perform extensive literature and prior art searches in support of company intellectual property development
- Attend and speak at technical conferences and workshops on behalf of Phoenix across a broad range of technical disciplines
- Support Phoenix R&D and engineering teams in on-going development projects and customer programs as directed by Phoenix’s CEO and president
- A minimum of a BS Degree science, math, or engineering with 10+ years of experience; a MS with 8+ years of experience, or a PhD with 6+ years of experience. An advanced degree (PhD) is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of physics, particle accelerators, nuclear engineering, radiation transport, neutronics, and fusion energy required
- Prior relevant work experience with a DOE national laboratory or DOD service laboratory is preferred. Related academic or commercial company experience with US government R&D labs will be considered
- Excellent written and verbal communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work with the R&D, engineering, and modeling teams
- Experience in public speaking, presenting academic papers, and technical proposal-writing is required; speaking to groups of 10-50 people or more will be a regular requirement
- Strong affinity towards application-focused science with an emphasis on applying complex technologies to difficult, real world fashions with a mindset towards future technology commercialization
- Desire to interact regularly with customers, collaborators, partners, funding agencies, and other external stakeholders on behalf of the company
- Experience in project management is preferred
- Past performance serving as a Principal Investigator (PI) on Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants and other contracting mechanisms is preferred
- US DOD Secret or equivalent DOE security clearance preferred
- Relocation to the Madison, WI area preferred
Phoenix offers an exceptional benefit and compensation package in a transparent, collaborative team environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If this opportunity peaks your interest and you feel Phoenix may be the organization for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
“Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check.”