NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will develop the mechanical systems required for safe and reliable operation of Phoenix’s neutron generators and ion implanters. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will also develop these systems for manufacturability and serviceability. This position will be responsible for all aspects of mechanical design on assigned projects, including design development, analysis, modeling, verification, BOM management, drafting, and supporting designs through production.
If you want to work in a refreshing work environment and like to have fun, make money with great benefits, and be part of a great team with the best coworkers – then Phoenix is the right place for you!
When you’re part of the Phoenix team, you’ll do important work, like helping our customers to:
- Manufacture medical radioisotopes to support the treatment of the 56,000 American patients that need it each day
- Test turbine blades before they are assembled into jet engines
- Verify the proper content of nuclear fuel rods
- Identify & locate buried explosive devices
- Create the next generation of technology in the semiconductor industry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mechanical design of neutron generating and ion implantation capital equipment
- Help to coordinate efforts of mechanical engineering teams for assigned projects:
- Develop engineering design requirements
- Create CAD models of designs
- Analyze designs to prove design criteria are met
- Create & release detailed drawings
- Develop Bills of Materials for product
- Train & mentor other engineers, mechanical designers, & technicians as needed
- Communicate & collaborate with other engineers, managers, suppliers, & contractors
- Prepare & deliver complex engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally
- Participate in Design Reviews as a Subject Matter Expert
- Collaborate with the Engineering Manager & Design Team to develop & update department Standard Operating Procedures
Requirements and Qualifications:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience designing complex and/or precision mechanical systems
- Working knowledge of engineering calculations including but not limited to: kinematics, power, torque, structural, air & water flow/pressure calculations, machine cycle time etc.
- Effective problem solving, judgment, and independent thinking skills for troubleshooting, repair, & recognition of acceptable or unacceptable product quality
- Excellent technical writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to quickly assess assigned task requirements, identify potential challenges, and communicate effectively in order to expedite the successful execution of assigned work.
- Ability to work independently and within team environments.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis – CFD is required
- Working knowledge of tolerances and GD&T
- 10+ years of experience in a design role desired
- 10+ years of experience in a production environment desired
- Experience with SolidWorks is preferred, but other 3D CAD packages will be considered
- Ability to travel occasionally is preferred
Phoenix offers an exceptional benefit and compensation package in a transparent, collaborative team environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If this opportunity piques your interest and you feel Phoenix may be the organization for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
“Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check.”