Reports To: VP - R&D
Revision Date: 03/27/2018
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Phoenix, LLC is seeking an experienced imaging specialist to provide research and development support for thermal neutron radiography and related techniques. Experience in neutron, x-ray, or other imaging modalities is desired, including experience with commercially available neutron and/or x-ray detection hardware, software, and image analysis techniques. This need could be filled by full-time employment (preferred), part-time employment, or by a consulting engagement, and the start date is as soon as possible.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The candidate’s primary focus will be on providing technical support to enhance neutron radiography and eventually tomography capabilities at Phoenix. For example, the candidate will be expected to:
- Develop and use data processing algorithms to improve image performance such as: sub-pixel resolution, multi-exposure noise reduction, instrument response function deconvolution, Bayesian inference, computed tomography image reconstruction, dose reduction, and artificial intelligence
- Adapt state-of-the-art medical and industrial X-ray imaging techniques to a neutron imaging environment, including automated segmentation and defect recognition
- Analyze existing imaging techniques and optimize process to improve image quality
- Develop custom image processing software for more robust anomaly recognition
- Work in a laboratory environment setting up imaging hardware and processing digital and/or film images
- Operate and optimize neutron detectors to support product development efforts in neutron imaging, including scintillators, film, direct radiography systems, digital detector arrays, computed radiography, micro-channel plates and CCD/CMOS devices.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience (including graduate school) working with relevant radiation detectors, imaging systems and software packages
- Expertise with data analysis toolkits such as: Matlab, python (scipy/pandas), R
- Expertise with programming languages: C/C++, CUDA/OpenCL
- BS degree in a technical field (physics, medical physics or engineering preferred) or equivalent technical experience. Preference will be given to candidates with a master’s or doctoral degree in a technical discipline and further to one who is ASNT certified in radiography.
- General knowledge of laboratory etiquette and safety considerations. Specific hazards may include high voltage electricity and hazardous chemicals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are an absolute requirement.
Phoenix offers an exceptional benefit and compensation package in a transparent, collaborative team environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If this opportunity peaks your interest and you feel Phoenix may be the organization for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
"Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check."