JUNE 28-30, 2022
Neutron radiography is a powerful nondestructive testing method using neutron radiation, a form of penetrating radiation with unique physical properties compared to X-rays, to create radiographic images of the interiors of manufactured parts without dismantling or damaging them. Due to these unique physical properties, neutron radiation can be used to detect flaws and discontinuities such as gaps, cracks, voids, and the presence of foreign material that may not appear as visibly, or at all, in an X-ray image.
With neutron radiography becoming more accessible and finding use in more industrial NDT niches, knowing how to use neutron imaging and interpret neutron radiographic films will become an increasingly valued skill in the coming years.
We offer a 3-day Neutron Radiography Film Interpretation course, held at our imaging center in Fitchburg, Wisconsin. This NR course is a mix of theory and practical applications demonstrating the requirements for ASTM, Aerospace Prime and Department of Defense requirements. It is the intent of this presentation to focus on equipment utilized, work instructions and techniques for aerospace, defense and energetics inspections. NDT personnel of all levels and quality assurance personnel are encouraged to attend this interactive and educational course.
The course focuses on:
- How neutron radiography compared to conventional radiography methods and how neutron imaging works at the imaging center
- Hands-on labs performing neutron radiography including tagging procedures
- Hands-on film interpretation of discontinuities using neutron radiographs and documenting defects per customer requirements
The NR Film Interpretation course is graded. Homework assignments will be a combination of multiple choice questions and short essay questions. Class discussion and participation is strongly encouraged, especially during the answer reviews. An end-of-course written examination of at least 25 multiple choice questions will be given on day 3 of the course. You must score 70% or higher to pass the course.
The NR Film Interpretation course is a 24-hour course spread over three days of workshops and discussions. Course times are from 8:00 AM CST to 4:30 PM CST with 15-minute breaks between each session and lunch at noon.
The following topics will be covered during this three-day period:
- Introduction to Neutron Radiography
- Basic Principles of Neutron Radiography
- Neutron Radiographic Viewing
- Neutron Radiography Application Techniques
- Evaluation of Castings
- Evaluation of Energetics and Explosives
- Standards, Codes, and Procedures for Radiography
- Hands-On Film Interpretation
Lunch and refreshments are provided by Phoenix.
5125 Lacy Rd
Fitchburg, WI 53711
For accommodations during our courses, we recommend Home2 Suites by Hilton Madison Central Alliant Energy Center on Rimrock Rd. off of US-12.
Home2 Suites by Hilton
2153 Rimrock Rd.
Madison, WI 53713
- June 28-30, 2022