VP of Sales and Business Development
Department: Sales and Marketing
Reports To: President
Revision Date: 03/07/2019
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Phoenix is seeking an experienced sales, business development, and marketing professional to relocate to Phoenix’s Madison, WI headquarters to lead a growing team working across multiple commercial and government markets. Phoenix is currently an 80-person company with a rapid growth trajectory. This represents an opportunity to build one of the key functional areas for an early stage technology company from the ground up.
Basic Function: The VP of Sales and Business Development will report to the President. His or her primary focus will be on proactively building a new funnel of sales opportunities, closing on multiple, multi-million dollar contracts each year, and managing, tracking, and forecasting the performance of a growing sales team.
Phoenix is a rapidly growing company selling technology into the following markets:
1. Neutron imaging systems for the nondestructive inspection of commercial and government
aerospace, defense, automotive, and other components
2. Explosive, nuclear material, contraband, and materials detection and characterization systems
3. Nuclear fuel quality control scanners
4. High current, medium voltage accelerators for research and production ion implantation and
5. Radiation survivability test systems
6. Neutron generators as a research and development tool
The VP of Sales and Business Development will initially manage 3 sales professionals, but it is anticipated that the sales team will grow rapidly in the coming years. The VP of Sales and Business Development will assist and guide these sales professionals in seeking new sales opportunities and building strategic relationships with key customers in these industries. Candidates should expect a majority of their time to be direct engagement in the sales and business development process, both directly and via management of their direct reports. This is an executive role in the company, and this person will also be involved in setting the strategic direction of the company with an emphasis on growing revenue over a 5-year time horizon.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Lead and grow the sales, business development, and marketing functions of the organization
2. Grow, manage, track, and forecast a funnel of new sales opportunities
3. Advance multiple DoD technologies from a development stage to deployment via programs of
record or other long term funding mechanisms
4. Continue rapid top line growth over for Phoenix over the next 5 years
5. Support the sales team in closing several multi-million dollar contracts each year
6. Organize and track Phoenix’s presence and conferences, trade shows, and other events; regularly
setup, attend, and manage exhibitions, give technical talks, and gather leads at professional events
7. Expand Phoenix’s market reach, including international markets
8. Grow and manage a network of distributors in key countries or regions
9. Identify key customer targets and arrange for and participate in introductory conversations
10. Develop new long-term, high-growth revenue streams within domestic and international militaries and governments
11. Support Phoenix in marketing its technology and building name recognition within relevant
12. Provide market intelligence and product development guidance with regard to positioning the
Phoenix technology within relevant markets
13. Support Phoenix in identifying new applications for its technology
14. Develop a 5-year domestic sales and marketing plan and implement, track, and manage it
The candidate VP of Sales should have a bachelor’s degree in a technical field (physics or engineering preferred) or equivalent business and technical experience. with an emphasis on experience selling $1M+ capital equipment with long sales cycles. The candidate should have at least 10 years of experience in selling or marketing high dollar value (greater than $1M), highly technical equipment to research institutions, governmental organizations, and large corporate customers. Experience managing other sales professionals is also strongly preferred. Experience working with the Army, Navy, Air Force, MDA, NASA and tier one prime contractors supporting those agencies would be advantageous in this role but is not required. The candidate should be a highly motivated “self starter” and should be comfortable operating in an autonomous fashion. The candidate will work closely with the President and other members of the senior management team, but he or she will often need to develop their own strategic sales, business development, and marketing direction without regular oversight. He or she will be primarily responsible for generating new sales leads and continuing to build a growing backlog extending several years into the future. An important part of the role will be to educate new customers on the benefits offered by the Phoenix technology, both directly and through mentoring of a growing sales team. Many potential customers will be highly educated scientists and engineers, and the VP of Sales and Business Development must be able to talk confidently and competently about highly technical subjects. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are an absolute requirement.
Phoenix offers an exceptional benefit and compensation package in a transparent, collaborative team environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If this opportunity peaks your interest and you feel Phoenix may be the organization for you, we look forward to hearing from you.
"Eligibility for employment is conditioned on an individual’s ability to qualify for access to information subject to U.S. Export Controls regulations (U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Asylee or Refugee). Also, an individual’s eligibility may be conditioned based upon access to information classified under the Atomic Energy Act requiring pre-employment drug test, fingerprinting, and a criminal background check."